|Allen Lai, Yu Hung
Medical Degree, Chung Shan Medical University, Master of Science
(Preventive Medicine), National Taiwan University; Master of Public Administration, National University of Singapore
Associate Professor Scott A. Fritzen
Area of Interest:
Health Policy, Public Health Emergencies, Crisis Management
Where are you from?
I am from Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China.
What sparked your interest in public policy?
Professor Lai Mei-shu in the Institute of Preventive Medicine of National Taiwan University inspired me in the field of public health and subsequently Professor Phua Kai Hong in the School of Public Policy of National University of Singapore further ignites my interest in public policy.
Why did you choose to pursue a PhD at LKY School?
While studying MPA at LKY School, I have been deeply impressed by the energy of the school to inspire leaders, ambition to transform leaders and engaging spirit of the scholar dialogue among students and faculties. Moreover, the biodiversity of the students and trans-discipline curriculum of the courses are also attractive to me to study in the school.
What do you enjoy the most about your studies or research work at LKY School?
The PhD research program provides me with the interactive understanding of the practice and the theory. The well funded research program also encourages me to expose myself to the international intellectual dialogues and equip me with robust fundamental of research methodology and epistemology.
Want to share any highlights such as awards, special events, professional presentation of your work?
In August 2008, we (Alex He, Tan Teck Boon and I) presented our proposal in Rome for the 2nd Youth Innovation Competition on Global Governance. In this event, we raised the flag of LKY School and have aroused much attention during the competition.
What are your career goals?
As I am a medical doctor, during or after my PhD study in LKY School, I hope I can contribute to and be involved either in the academic research or in the decision making of health policy. I hope someday I can become a Health Minister.
|Recent Academic Publications:
|Peer-Reviewed Academic Journal Articles |
- Lai, Allen Y., 2012, Toward a Collaborative Cross-Border Disaster Management: A Comparative Analysis of Voluntary Organizations in Taiwan and Singapore, Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, 14(3), 2012, pp.217-233 (SSCI journal)
- Lai, Allen Y. and Tan, Teck Boon, 2012, Combating SARS and H1N1: Lessons and Insights from the Singapore Experience, Austrian Journal of South-East Asian Studies, 5(1), 2012, pp.74-101
- Lai, Allen Y., 2012, Teaching Public Policy in East Asia: Aspirations, Potentials and Challenges. Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, 14(5), 2012, pp.376-390 (SSCI journal)
- Lai, Allen Y., 2012, Stretching Aid More Effectively by Aid Means Testing: A Paradigm Shift of Incentive Structure in Aid Policy. Journal of Administration and Governance, 7(1), 2012, pp.43-51
- Lai, Allen Y., 2012, Impact of Disaster and Disaster Risk Management in Singapore, Research Paper for Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia, forthcoming 2012
- Lai, Allen Y., 2012, Organizational Collaborative Capacity in Fighting Pandemic Crises: A Review from Public Management Perspective. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health, 24(1), 2012, pp. 1-14. (SCI journal)
- Lai, Allen Y., 2011, Organizational Collaborative Capacities in Post Disaster Society. Asian Journal of Social Science, 39(4), 2011, 442-464.
- Lai, Allen Y., 2011, Healthcare Reform Models in Six Countries: Convergence or Divergence. Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, 13(4), 459-460. (SSCI journal)
- Lai, Allen Y., 2010, Shaping the Crisis Perception of Decision Makers and Its Application of Singapore’s Voluntary Contribution to Post-Tsunami Reconstruction Efforts. Journal of Administration and Governance, 4(2), 2010, pp. 1-12.
- Lai, Allen Y., 2010, Crisis perception in decision making: An innovative conceptual framework and Its Application in Disaster Relief. Journal of Law and Conflict Resolution, 2(6), 91-97.
- Lai, Allen Y., and Placerda, Jowil M., 2010, Keep them on your side. Journal of Administration and Governance, 5(1), 66-67.
- He, Alex J., Lai, Allen Y., and Leong, Ching, 2010, Living Organ Transplantation Policy Transition in Asia: towards Adaptive Policy Changes. Global Health Governance, 3(2), 2010, pp. 1-14.
- Lai, Allen Y., He, Alex J., Tan, T.B., and Phua, K.H., 2009, A Proposed ASEAN Disaster Response, Training and Logistic Centre: Enhancing Regional Governance in Disaster Management. Transition Studies Reviews, 16(2), 2009, pp. 299-315.
- Lai, Allen Y., 2009, Good Governance in Health Outcome Research: A Case of Vietnam with Foreign Aid. Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, 36(6), 2009 (Tier 1 SCI journal)
- Allen Yu-Hung Lai, Shing-Hwa Lu, Hong-Jen Yu, Yuh-Chen Kuo, and Chao-Yuan Huang. Tuberculous Epididymitis Presented as a Huge Scrotal Tumor, Urology, 73(5), 2009, pp.5-7 (Tier 1 SCI journal)
- ‘A huge pelvic calculus causing acute renal failure’, American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 26(2), 2008, pp.e3-4 (SCI journal)
- ‘Association between Preoperative Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms and Continence Return after Radical Prostatectomy’, Indian Journal of Urology, 24, 2008, pp.s95-96
- ‘Renal Amyloidosis Presenting with Obstructive Uropathy’, Kidney International, 72, 2007, pp.1173-1174 (Tier 1 SCI journal)
- ‘Synchronous Advanced Scrotal Verrucous Carcinoma with Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma’, Urology, 69(1), 2007, pp. e5-7 (Tier 1 SCI journal)
- ‘Stones along the Whole Ureteral Stent’, Kidney International, 72, 2007, pp.899-900 (Tier 1 SCI journal)
- ‘Extramammary Paget’s Disease of the Penis’, Journal of Taiwan Urological Association, 17(4), 2006, pp.149-152
- ‘Healthcare Reform Models in Six Countries: Convergence or Divergence’, Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, 13(4), 2011, pp.459-460 (SSCI journal)
- ‘Keep them on your side’, Journal of Administration and Governance, 5(1), 2010, pp.66-67
- ‘The Idea That Is America’, Asian Journal of Public Affairs, 1(2), 2008, pp.37-39
- ‘Vaccination’, in Penuel, K.B., Statler, M., and Hagen, R. (eds) Encyclopedia of Crisis Management, forthcoming, contracted with Sage Publishing, New York
- ‘The Coming Pandemic: Transnational Health Challenges in East and Southeast Asia’, in Tan, A.T.H. (ed) East and Southeast Asia: International Relations and Security Perspective (N.Y.: Routledge), 2012
- ‘Triple Transition in Global Health: Determinants, Health Institutions and Governance’, in Popejoy, M. (Ed) Global Public Health Policy, Nova Science Publishers, New York, forthcoming
- ‘Disaster Management in Health’, in Popejoy, M. (Ed) Global Public Health Policy, Nova Science Publishers, New York, forthcoming
- ‘Emergence of Communication Capacity for a Resilient Society: Experience of the Taiwan Center for Disease Control in 2009 H1N1 Pandemic Control’, in Popejoy, M. (Ed) Global Public Health Policy, Nova Science Publishers, New York, forthcoming
- ‘The Role of Voluntary Welfare Organization in Cross-border Relief Collaboration: Comparative Analysis of Taiwan Red Cross and Singapore Red Cross’, in Chao, Y.M., Hsieh, Q.K., Chang, Fisher S., and Tsu, S.C. (eds) Public Administration, Disaster Prevention and Crisis Management (Beijing, China: Social Science Academics Press), 2011, pp.120-147 (in Mandarin)
- ‘Disaster Management in Southeast Asia’, International Policy Digest, 15 May 2012 (with Tan, T.B.)
- ‘When your wife fails to conceive, who is to blame?’ Baby and Mother, 389, 106-110, 2009
- ‘Relationship between Alcohol and Male Fertility’, Baby and Mother, 372, 92-96, 2007
- ‘Urinary Tract Infection in Pregnant Women’, Baby and Mother, 367, 112-118, 2007
- ‘Relationship between Diet and Male Fertility’, Baby and Mother, 364, 82-94, 2007
- ‘Semen Quality in Male Fertility’, Baby and Mother, 361, 76-84, 2006
- Interview, Science and Development Network, (February 9, 2011)
- Interview, CNA News World (March 28, 2009)
- Interview, “Seeing the world in a dot,” Review, Strait Times (September 20, 2008)
- Interview, Common Wealth Magazine, 403, pp128-129 (August 13, 2008)
- Interview, Common Wealth Magazine, 404, p 145 (August 27, 2008)
Conference Paper (in social sciences only)
- “The Impact of Disaster and Disaster Risk Management in Singapore”. 2nd Workshop of Economic and Welfare Impacts of Disasters in East and Policy Responses, Bangkok, Thailand (June, 2012)
- “The Impact of Disaster and Disaster Risk Management in Singapore”. 1st Workshop of Economic and Welfare Impacts of Disasters in East and Policy Responses, Jakarta, Indonesia (December 2011)
- “The Emergence of Collaborative Capacities”. Public Management Research Conference, Maxwell School of Syracuse University, New York, USA (June 2011)
- “Collaborative Network in Cross-border Disaster Management: A Comparative Analysis of Red Cross Organization in Taiwan and Singapore”. 1st Cross-Strait Public Management Forum, National Taipei University, Taipei, Taiwan (December 2010)
- “Towards a Collaborative Cross-border Disaster Management”. Cross-Strait Conference on Public Administration, I-Shou University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan (December 2010)
- “The Role of Voluntary Welfare Organizations in Disaster Relief: A Comparative Analysis of the Red Cross Society in the 2004 Asian Tsunami and the 2008 Wenchuan Earthquake”. International Comparative Policy Analysis Forum Workshop, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, USA (2010)
- “The Role of Voluntary Welfare Organization in Disaster Relief: a case study of Singapore Red Cross at Aceh Indonesia post 2004 Asian Tsunami”. Comparative Disaster Management in East Asia Forum, Taipei, Taiwan (2009)
- “Strategic Alliances in Development Assistance for Health: Taiwan Experience in Africa”. FIGO Congress of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Cape Town, South Africa (2009)
- “Westernization or Localization? Re-orientating Public Policy Training in East Asia”. Cross-Strait Conference on Public Administration, Hong Kong, China (2009)
- “Good Governance in Health Outcome Research: A Case of Vietnam with Foreign Aid”. 6th annual meeting for Health Technology Assessment International (HTAi), Singapore (2009)
- “Teaching Public Policy Analysis in East Asia: Political Regimes, Administrative Systems and Decision-Making Models”. International Comparative Policy Analysis Forum Workshop, Taipei, Taiwan (2009)
- “Shaping perception of decision makers in the crisis”. Conference of Taiwan Association for School of Public Administration and Affairs, Kaohsiung, Taiwan (2009)
- “ASEAN Disaster Response, Training and Logistic Center: Enhancing Regional Governance in Disaster Management”. 2nd Youth Innovation Competition on Global Governance, Rome, Italy (2008)
Paper for Seminar/Public Talk/Lecture (in social sciences)
- “Public Health Crisis: Public Administration Perspective”. Invited Speaker for Health Crisis Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (Master Program in International Health, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, November, 2012)
- “The Collaborative Capacity in Disaster and Emergency Management”. Visiting Speaker Seminar Series (Department of Public and Social Administration, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China, September 2012)
- “The Disaster Research in ASEAN and the Role of ASEAN Agreement on Disaster Management and Emergency Response (AADMER)”. Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore, Singapore (2011)
- “Resilience and Collaborative Capacity in Crisis Learning”. Visiting Speaker for School of Communicty and Regional Planning, (The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, 2011)
- “From Public Health to Public Policy”. Visiting Speaker for Health Policy Graduate Seminar (National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, 2010)
- “From Pubic Policy to Public Policy”. Visiting Speaker at Graduate Seminar Series (National Tainan University, Tainan, Taiwan, 2010)
- “Emergence of Collaborative Capacity through Crisis Learning”. Graduate Seminar Series, (Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, 2010)
- “Hospital Financial Management and Economic Evaluation of Healthcare Projects”. Workshop on Healthcare Management (International Cooperation and Development Fund, Taipei, Taiwan, 2010)
- “From the Third World to the First: What next?” Science Tuesday Seminar Series (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 2010)
- “Introduction to Disaster and Emergency Management”. Visiting Speaker Seminar Series (National Taipei University, Taipei, Taiwan, 2009)
- “Regional Disaster Relief Coordination and Training”. Visiting Speaker Seminar Series (Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 2008)